Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 19, 2013

SERIE A: Former AC Milan and Italy midfielder Gattuso defends his innocence as Italian matchfixing probe continues



 
Gennaro Gattuso formerly of AC Milan, now under investigation for matchfixing in Italy. Photo/Getty Images
By Luca Bianchin, La Gazzetta dello Sport, AIPS Young Reporter
MILAN, December 19, 2013 - “I’m angry and offended. I have never gambled in my life. If something was proven I would be willing to go out into the street and - I know this is a strong thing to say - I would kill myself.”
Gennaro Gattuso chose the most impressive way to deny his alleged involvement in match-fixing after being placed under investigation by the Cremona prosecutor's office.
Gattuso is suspected of “associating with criminals with intent to commit sporting fraud”.
In Italy, it was Tuesday’s news of the day. Four people were arrested on Monday, December 16, and accused of being involved in a betting ring that fixed 30 Italian games between 2009 and 2013.
According to investigators, Gattuso and his former teammate and roommate Cristian Brocchi, now a youth team coach at AC Milan, both had telephone contacts with Francesco “Civ” Bazzani, one of the people arrested Monday. Gattuso and Brocchi were placed under investigation.
Gattuso received 13 text messages, never answered and never talked via phone with Bazzani, who had a stronger connection with Salvatore Pipieri, Gattuso’s friend and factotum.
“Gattuso and Brocchi were connected to the case by the use of phone taps,” said Roberto Di Martino, Cremona prosecutor and symbol of the investigation.
Nevertheless, Gattuso is considered a victim in the public’s opinion. “Gattuso non c’entra!” (“Gattuso has nothing to do with it!”), was the front page headline of Thursday’s Corriere dello Sport.
“I cannot comment on things I do not know, but I am sure about Rino and Cristian’s honesty,” said AC Milan vice president and CEO Adriano Galliani.
“I am confident that Gattuso will clear himself of all suspicion,” added Giancarlo Abete, president of FIGC, the Italian football federation.
“The last ten games in any Serie B campaign are terrifying. Too many interests coexist. I do not have proof but I think these matches are fixed,” said Maurizio Zamparini, owner of Palermo, the team that Gattuso managed for the first six games of the season before being sacked. “I could give Rino my wallet, I know he is a serious person,” added Zamparini.
Bazzani and the other three men taken into custody (Salvatore Spadaro, Fabio Quadri and Cosimo Rinci) are charged with sporting fraud as part of the “Last Bet” operation, an investigation that began in 2010 and that has already led to 54 arrests, including Giuseppe Signori and other current and former Italian players.
According to Thursday’s La Gazzetta dello Sport, the Italian police seized a diary owned by a Chinese man under investigations, Qiu Wangyi. The diary should contain the names of many players and executives that used to bet on fixed games.

No comments:

Post a Comment